Friday, July 28, 2017

RVegan Sweet Meat Squash Soup

The main thing I miss about having a house is my garden.

My kids miss it too.  Brother was three when we first planted a garden and he has grown up enjoying the produce year round.  So when a friend of mine brought over some garden produce we were excited to cook it up!  Also, she brought a variety of squash we had not heard of "Sweet Meat Squash," so I turned to Pinterest to find a way to cook it up.  Voila! Sweet Meat Squash Soup was made!  It tastes like an Indian soup, rich in curry and spice.  I cooked this while we were up in the mountains so that I could use the stove and our bread maker inside the Hideout.  It was wonderful to cook inside and being back in the heat, I am really missing it!  The recipe made a lot, and we had leftovers for two days.  I actually made a second loaf of bread the second day and we ate the leftover bread from both days on the third day.  

Photo from "Feasting not Fasting"
In addition to squash, my friend gave me some okra.  I had never cooked okra before but learned from conversations with gardeners that microwaving it is the best.  Apparently okra can get a bit moist and slimy if not prepared correctly.  Enter Pinterest for ideas on how to prep okra!  We made Spiced Okra Chips, also flavored with Indian spices.  My only critique of this recipe is that it had too much salt.  But we all ate them and the kids even said they were pretty good!

Okra "chips" before being cooked in microwave

No comments:

Post a Comment