Saturday, July 8, 2017

Melodies at the edge of our comfort zone...

Pushing the boundaries of what is comfortable can be scary, but is also very exciting.  This is where chance encounters, serendipity, and opportunity are found.  Looking back over the past month makes me very proud of our family and how we pulled together to embark on this adventure.  I have spent a great deal less time on Facebook watching other people live in favor of living my life to the fullest.

This past week was a crazy one.  Many months ago I had signed brother up for a summer day camp located in Tempe, AZ.  Each day we drove over 150 miles round trip getting him to his camp.  Each day I did something different with my time in the big city.  The highlights of the week were related to spending time with friends. Sister and I dropped in on a long lost friend I haven't seen in, maybe, five years and it was so much fun to reconnect - it just happened that she was on vacation and available for a visit!  We also spent two days with another friend and had a wonderful time swimming, hanging out and catching up.  

One of my requirements for trailer living was that we had to continue brother's piano lessons.  The digital piano we have owned for the past 10+ years was too big to fit in the Hideout, and so I sold it before we moved.  This past week we visited Guitar Center and found a Casio CDP-130 marked down for a 4th of July sale to $300.  It can be stood on end to save space when not in use.  


In our McMansion the piano was upstairs in the loft...

I always felt that because it was out of sight, it was generally out of mind and didn't get played as much as it would if it was more centrally located.  This theory is being put to the test.  Last night, for the first time ever, brother said, "Can I play piano?"  YES!!!!  Yes you can! So I set up the stand and put the piano on top (that take about a minute) and voila, we had a music session!  I was so happy that having the piano in sight and handy promotes its use.  Also, since the piano was set up, I seized upon the opportunity to play as well.  I think we will all be playing our instruments more.  

Of course you can buy anything on Amazon...


So here we are, out of our comfort zone - reconnecting with friends, enjoying our small space, and spending time on music!  It is such a blessing to have my kids close to me and to share in simple joys like music and books.

No comments:

Post a Comment