Tuesday, July 18, 2017

RVegan Slow Cooker Red Dal

I've totally been on an Indian food kick lately.  This morning, in the spirit of using up my stock of legumes, I am making Slow Cooker Red Dal with Red Curry Paste When I searched Pinterest I entered 'vegan, slow cooker, red lentils' and this was one of the recipes that came up.  My requirement besides being based around red lentils was that I didn't have to buy too many other ingredients.  To my joy I had everything for this recipe except coconut milk, onion and ginger!  I am always looking for ways to use up my unique spices as well.  I was glad to see this one calls for asafoetida and garam masala - which I have.  I also just happened to have exactly 3 Tbsp of Thai Red Curry Paste in the fridge!  This recipe was meant to be!



I am quite sure that Thai red curry paste is not the same as Indian red curry paste, but I made this substitution to use up what I had.  Also, everything I have made with this curry paste has been amazing, so I am pretty excited about this!  I bought some naan from the store, but it has milk in it and I have been avoiding dairy for health reasons.  I miss making my own naan, but it is pan fried and that would be too hot an endeavor for this summer heat...I will probably make a loaf of whole wheat bread in the bread maker with almond milk.  Plus, having a loaf of fresh bread around is always a good thing.  I have been very happy with the simple WFPB meals I have been making at the Hideout!

No comments:

Post a Comment