Saturday, October 28, 2017

RVegan Broccoli Soup

One of our favorite recipes is Vegan Broccoli Soup I've made it so many times I hardly look at the recipe anymore - and I forgot that I adjusted the proportions to make a decent pot that lasts two nights as opposed to the tiny serving featured in the attached blog - clearly that blogger is not cooking for a family!


I fill a large pot with veggies - like this!  That is about 4 medium carrots, 4-5 stalks of celery, a half of a large yellow onion, lots of garlic, and three medium heads of broccoli.  I add 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil and heat it up.  Once the onions start to turn translucent I add 1/2 cup + 1-2 Tbsp whole wheat flour and some salt and I cook that for a bit to cook the flour taste away.  Then I add a 4 cup box of veggie broth, a can of coconut milk, two cups of plant milk (macadamia is the best, but I also use cashew or almond depending on what I have) and then add 6 Tbsp nutritional yeast.  Simmer that for 20-30 min...

Immersion blend and serve!  The original recipe has broccoli croutons - I've made them, but I don't think it is worth the extra steps.  We always make a fresh loaf of whole wheat bread in the bread maker to go with this delight....everyone loves it!  We were seriously missing this meal during the summer when it was too hot for cooking inside, but this is back on the menu and I have made it once a week for the past three weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment