Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Hiding out in the AZ fall/winter!

I've lived closer to Mother Nature and her fury (expressed as heat) in the past three+ months than I ever have.  As an adult, other than camping trips, I have lived in suburbia and indoors.  Living in the Hideout, without private laundry and cooking outside, I have experienced much more of the AZ summer than in years past.  That's why when the weather is only in the 90s, I am happy to be outside and I am feeling like it is fall!  Well, that and the nights are cooling off to the 70s, and we are sleeping with the windows open each night.  Surprisingly, this little corner of Tempe is really quite quiet.  The RV park is surrounded by apartments, but people are mostly indoors.  Tonight we walked around the park and it was a peaceful, quiet, and clear evening with a bright moon overhead.  Some really expensive and beautiful RVs and motorhomes are in the park right now.  I would estimate that they run upwards of $100,000...dwarfing our little Hideout.  They are a curiosity - an extension of excess. Many of the owners probably have lovely homes in addition to their trailers.  We have met some full-timers.  There is a family from Texas who fled to AZ to avoid the hurricane.  Another family (husband & wife) work as insurance adjusters and they came here to process claims due to the hurricanes! 

As a follow-up to our drama on Sunday I should add that the managers from Kon Tiki reached out and when I told them about our experience they were very apologetic.  They offered us an alternative spot, which was much nicer than the first.  It was tempting to give it a try, but we considered how nice our current park is and opted to just stay here and take a chance that a long term monthly rental would open.  I replied to the managers this afternoon via email with our decision to pass on the second spot.

In the meantime, Apache Palms is filling up and we are lucky to have a spot after I told them we were leaving!  I asked on Sunday to be added to the wait list for a long-term monthly rental and today about an hour after I emailed Kon Tiki, I heard back that one opened up!  I will go up to the office and chat with them about the situation tomorrow.  I am feeling very positive about staying here through the end of the school year.  The pros are that we love the location, I walk to the light rail to commute to work, it feels safe, there is an excellent vibe, great laundry facility and public restrooms/showers, and we are close to friends.  The con - and I think there really is only one - is that winter rates go into effect on November 1 - which means $$ - though I am not sure exactly how much because they have different rates for different spots, some are more/less desirable and I don't know which one we will end up in.  When I do, I will let you know!  


No comments:

Post a Comment