Thursday, September 28, 2017

Shedding the past & renewal

This whole experience has been so cathartic.  The big questions: Who am I?  Why am I here?  Where am I going?  These were so difficult to answer for such a long time, but I am the closest to an answer I have ever been.  Generally we know what we are not, but it is hard to say who we are (apart from our name and facts from our childhood).  Go ahead.  Try to come up with an answer for yourself.
Tuesday morning leaving the trailer for work


Walking out of the park to the light rail
I've mentioned that this whole transition is about realigning priorities.  We own SO much less stuff (and I am emotionally lighter because of it).  When you shed so much stuff you start to think about other things you don't need.  For example, I've been a diet Pepsi drinker since high school...over 20 years of putting that awful chemical shit in my body.  I've tried to stop many times, but I always found myself going back to it.  It's now been over a week and I just can't see any justification, in terms of health, money, modeling good behavior to the kids, or anything that would allow me to go back to it.  I just don't need it anymore.  I've lost two clothing sizes and I may be ready to go to a third.  I have never in my life so effortlessly lost weight.  I just don't need to stuff my face with crap. I have been eating mostly vegan and I have been very moderate about my portions.  Beans fill you up and I don't feel the need to snack.  Most days I eat twice, lunch and dinner and that is enough.  I feel content. There is something very zen about living with enough and not always wanting more.  



Our laundry facility
Brother and Sister are thriving.  Brother is so happy at his school - frankly I didn't think it would be this big of a hit!  Thank you to friends who are also part of this school family and have helped make his transition a smooth one.  Last year, for those of you who remember - was a little difficult for Brother.  He was stressed at school and he developed some troubling "ticks" I guess you could call them.  He obsessively washed his hands to the point of his knuckles always having sores on them and often bleeding.  And he was repeating himself, repeating himself (under his breath).  We were concerned...then there was a terrible incident in which a teacher made a bad call and he suffered for it.  It was the last straw and I withdrew him from school and we did a bit of homeschooling with an online curriculum.  So you now can see my concern about going back to school...but all is well.  He is happy.  He is playing outside with his sister on a daily basis by his own choice instead of playing video games.  He is opting for nightly walks "practicing to be a ninja" over watching TV.  He is begging me to get supplies so that he can do a class project way ahead of the due date.  I can't believe the difference and the excitement.  He is fully present in the moment.  He is happy and joyous.  It is beautiful.  



 
Walking towards the station
Sister is energy in motion.  She is stunning and brilliant and wild.  So sweet she will melt your heart and then fiery and loud! Today she visited the Children's Museum of PHX with Daddy, then they came and took me to lunch!  It was such a nice lunch date.  These are happy days.

We are moving on Sunday...another new adventure awaits!
Riding home on the light rail Tuesday
Tempe Town Lake to the right

No comments:

Post a Comment