Monday, August 20, 2018

What's next?

According to the National Park Foundation there are 417 National Park Sites in the United States.  Before we went on this adventure I knew there were National Parks and National Monuments, but I didn't realize there were National Lakeshores, Memorials, Battlefields, Parkways, Historic Sites, Wild and Scenic Rivers....and the list goes on!  

There are 59 Sites that have "National Park" as part of their official name.  Though I ordered this poster before we left, we didn't receive it until after our trip.  This is a scratch-off National Parks map.  The green trees are the ones we have visited so far - but now I wish I would have searched for a more comprehensive map showing more of the National Park Service sites!


To tell you the absolute truth, returning to the Phoenix area during this extreme heat has been depressing.  When it is so hot we have to put the reflectix and sun shades in the windows and reflectix in the sky light to block out the sun.  We run the air conditioning 24/7.  I can't use the stove inside because the air conditioner is already working hard to keep it 30 degrees cooler than the outdoor temps (it was in the 100-teens the first week we were back and now in the 100s).  If it is 108 outside, we have to minimize the number of times we open the front door during the day to keep the Hideout at 78.  Today it reached 109 and inside we were at 82 degrees (due to going in and out, running the coffee pot and there just being four bodies inside giving off heat).  Cooking outside on the grill is possible - but then again it increases the number of times we have to open the door.  We have been eating lots of cheap bean burritos from fast food places when it is this hot.  I long for the days of open windows and kids playing outside.  Right now we are trapped inside as if it was a Midwestern winter!

With that said the thing that excites me and allows me to look past this moment is the next trip!  While we are happy with our spot in Mesa it is not especially scenic or exciting.  It is the best and most cost effective place we have found that allows us a short commute to the light rail and to ASU, but we have caught the road bug and I am counting down the weeks until we can roll out again.  Thankfully we have a couple of weeks over winter break (during which time I work remotely)!  Of course Arizona is the place to be in the winter - we don't want to go too far away from the winter weather!  Looking at the National Park map inspired me - we will see Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Caverns on our winter trip!  I really can't think of a better holiday experience than being in a National Park with great weather hiking and enjoying the peace and serenity of nature.  

We have been asked if we are going to buy a house now...the answer is no (though in this heat I am missing having a house).  This "house" is so economical and we are able to spend so much time together as a family - there would have to be a trade-off if we purchased a house.  For now we want to maximize our adventures with our kids while I have the flexibility with my job.  Also, I am sort of excited about collecting more Junior Ranger Badges and National Park stickers for the Hideout! So fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment