Tuesday, August 21, 2018

RVegan success

I recently visited the doctor for a yearly physical, blood work and so forth. The last time I went was back in the spring of 2017, so it has been over a year since my last visit.  Before I report on the outcomes let me recap the significant changes I have made to my diet during the intervening time.
  1. Dairy-free for over a year (July of 2017)
  2. Teetotaller for almost 8 months (Jan of 2018)
  3. "Mostly" vegan for over a year - though I lost my habit tracker data when I got a new phone I estimate that at least 75% of my meals are vegan (conservative estimate).  When they are not it is because I ate fish or poultry.  
In the past eight years (since Brother was born) I have been told I was pre-diabetic, I have had high cholesterol, and I was treated for high blood pressure with medications for a short time.

Today I found out my HgA1C is 5.1!!!  That is in the healthy range for the first time in a long time (last physical I was considered pre-diabetic).  My blood pressure continues to be normal as it has been for a few years and I have lost 20 pounds since my last physical!  My BMI is still in the overweight range at 28 - but I have been as high as 34.  I have to lose 23 pounds more for my BMI to be under 25 and in the normal range.  My cholesterol is in the healthy range as well.  

We were more active over the summer - we did a fair bit of hiking and I am sure that helped, but I really think that my improved health is a result of my changed diet.  I have not been trying to lose weight, I have just noticed my clothes getting bigger.  This is a big first in my life. It is very gratifying to be able to go clothes shopping for smaller pants!

I am feeling proud of my health.  Considering that prioritizing our health was at the top of our list of reasons for changing our lifestyle I am gratified that I am seeing some really great results (on top of feeling better on a daily basis). Also, I am not on a diet - I have changed my lifestyle and habits.  I want to eat Whole Food Plant Based meals, I don't want to eat the junk I used to eat/drink.  I think this aspect of any lifestyle change is really important - when dieting we are in a state of deprivation - but I don't feel like that at all.  I am so thankful that I have my health and that I can adventure with my kids - I plan on continuing to take care of myself so that I can enjoy these adventures for as long as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment