Thursday, September 5, 2019

Meow Wolf, Santa Fe, NM

In a drastic departure from our "National Parking" we visited a very unique artistic space.  There really are not words to describe this experience as I am sure some of my pictures will highlight - but it was a worthwhile and unique experience.  We were directed to this place by the manager of Pinon RV Park.  I had asked about local places to take the kids - I was actually thinking about a community pool or water park...but when she asked me if I had visited Meow Wolf I had a vague memory of reading about it when I researched area attractions in Santa Fe....later she brought over a brochure and I was sold on a visit!  Funded by George R. R. Martin (author of the Game of Thrones series) and created by an artist cooperative it is an immersive, colorful, trippy alternative reality where you explore space, get lost, find things and lose them again.  There are multiple levels of understanding the "exhibit" and though I spent a great deal of time there I did not try to follow the actual story but rather I got lost in the whimsical and metaphysical.




What are you looking at?  That is totally the question.  It's an alternative dimension full of amazing places, odd characters, unique sounds and sights.

When you first enter you start in a two-story house, but you quickly find that the house is a portal to the hidden realms.  Some of the kids' favorite ways to enter the alternative realm(s) were through the fridge and the dryer.  Here is Sister going down the rabbit hole and a shot from inside the fridge.




This is a place to be experienced, not talk about.  I love sharing my pictures, but really they don't do it justice at all.  I took the kids to Meow Wolf on a day Husband was working, but it was so amazing we went back home, waited for him to get done with work and then the four of us went back so that he could experience it too.  I couldn't imagine trying to tell him about it and it really felt wrong for us to experience it without him!  He was just as blown away as we were - it is a total trip.  In short, if you are in the area - you should totally go.




No comments:

Post a Comment