Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Wheel Inn RV Park, Fredonia, AZ - Review

Hello readers!  Ok, so my personal laptop died a very slow death....you should have seen the lengths I went to to make it last just one more day....there was a short in the screen and it would only display when it was almost closed - otherwise the screen would turn off - so I had to keep it at a funky angle in order to write!  It's been maddening!  The good news is, we are currently in Cody, WY and thank you Walmart for having a computer that passed Husband's specs and price tests!  In short, I have not been able to write because I didn't have a laptop and I don't use my work computer for pictures and so forth...

Anyhow. I am back in business!  I would like to include some RV park reviews for a couple of reasons - first I want to remember what I thought about the places we stayed, secondly it may be entertaining, and thirdly you may want to check some of the same places out one day!

So, this year we started our travels in Snowflake, AZ and we will end there as well so I am going to reserve that review for the end of the summer.  The next place we stayed for almost a week was the Wheel Inn RV Park in Fredonia, AZ (295 West Pratt St, Fredonia, AZ 86022). 



The park is seven miles south of Kanab, UT where you will find the closest (expensive) grocery store and some AMAZING Mexican food at Escobar's.  Oh those fish tacos!  And the shrimp tacos!  And the salsa!  I wish I could drive there right now.  Oh wait - this is a review for Wheel Inn...


Pluses:

  • Large, pull-through sites 
    • this is important for large rigs and people who don't like backing in their rigs and/or are not good at backing in their rigs...yet.  We are getting better, but it is always stressful when we have to back that baby in.
    • No problem for large rigs and deep slides.
  • Driving distance to FIVE National Parks!!!  Major selling point.
    • The furthest drive is to Bryce Canyon (84 miles), Cedar Breaks (72 miles), followed by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (61 miles), Zion (38 miles), and Pipe Springs (13 miles)  
    • There is also a state park (Coral Dunes) and other sites in the area that we did not have time to visit.
    • We like to park the rig and explore in the truck instead of having to hitch up and move all the time.  If we had a smaller rig we might feel differently, but hauling around 35' of trailer is a job and it is nice to just hop in the truck and head off to explore.  This was an excellent base of operations.
  • We paid a weekly rate of $150 and thought that was pretty good.
  • There was a pretty view from the back of the park
  • The gentleman that checked us in was really friendly and gave some good information about the area.  
  • Excellent Verizon signal - Husband and I were able to work on our hotspots without interruption.
  • Decent WiFi - we used it to stream a bit and Brother even played a little Xbox with his cousin briefly during laundry day when others visitors were out exploring.



Huh?

  • We paid a weekly rate of $150 which is what is posted on their website, but their website also said they have a Good Sam discount and I was told that was already included in the weekly rate.  This is weird.  I don't think they should post the Good Sam price - most parks give you the discount when you pay on arrival.  


Minuses:

  • There are no common facilities (showers, laundry, etc)
  • The entire place is one big dirt lot.  It's dusty and can be windy.

While there I used the local laundromat in Fredonia which was very nice, reasonably priced and clean.  It was not air conditioned and I was there on a hot day, but it was one of the nicer laundromats I have used.  

If you are looking for a no frills RV park that is reasonably priced so that you can explore like we did, this is a good choice.  There are a lot of parks to chose from in the area, but many are more expensive.  If you are interested in visiting both AZ and UT parks I think staying in the less touristy area is a plus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment