Sunday, June 30, 2019

Cedar Breaks National Monument

Cedar Breaks National Monument on June 14 ,2019 was still covered in SNOW folks!  While I found this disappointing, the kids were elated.


Though the snow was filthy and melting and generally not good to play in, my desert children saw a winter wonderland.


This area of land was just to the right of the monument's sign - I had a hard time getting them back into the truck so that we could proceed into the park.

I had read that there is a very nice Alpine Pond hike and this was what I had anticipated for us - however ALL of the trails were closed due to the snow.  Again, I was disappointed, but the kids just wanted to throw snowballs.  Did we wear long pants or coats?  No!  Shorts and t-shirts and no coats.  We just don't think about cold weather and I forget that the rest of the country has to deal with it (even in June).  (Since this lesson, I have packed the jackets many times when we head off to our adventures)

Alpine Pond Trailhead - CLOSED due to snow

Anyhow, after I wrangled my rangers into the truck we proceeded to the visitor center where we found.....SNOW!

 



And some AMAZING views of the amphitheater from Point Supreme at 10,350 feet elevation!




 As well as other spectacular views from other lookouts.



We did complete the Junior Ranger books and attempted to attend a Ranger talk, but we were not dressed appropriately for an outdoor talk at 10,350 feet in the wind and temps in the 40s!  This is certainly a park I would love to visit again when the snow is melted so that I can see the Alpine wildflowers.  There is a beautiful community called Duck Creek Village on the UT-14 that is at 8,400 feet where I would love to park my rig and explore the area.  I have to record this fact so that I remember this beautiful mountain community when I plan my next trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment