Friday, February 1, 2019

RVegan in Mesa!

I am LOVING this kitchen.  Who knew that 315 square feet was the sweet spot for a family of four?!?  The thing is both adults can be in the kitchen together.  One can cook while one is doing dishes or chopping or using the counter space to make hummus in the Vitamix! (which is what we did today)  It's great - it is also great that we have so much room in both fridges.  I didn't know how much I could buy last weekend - I thought I bought a lot of cold stuff, but I could have gotten more!

Between plant-based milks, sparkling water and fresh veggies the fridge has always been full, but in this house there is plenty of room for it all.  In addition to having the extra cold storage, the outdoor kitchen has come in handy over the past week.  We've used it for making fresh bread in the breadmaker and we've used the grill for baked potatoes.  I know the outdoor kitchen will be even more useful in the summer and while on the road. 

This week, now that we are settled, we did a lot of cooking in.  A new recipe that I have created from looking at many other recipes is a vegan Thai Basil Red Curry.  Well, it actually is not vegan because it had 2 tsp of fish sauce - but we did use tofu for the protein. It was 99% vegan.  It turned out really well - though could have been a lot more spicy (but I didn't for the kiddos). 


There is a restaurant in Tempe that makes the BEST red curry and I am chasing that recipe - this one was close, but it needed more basil! 


I served it over long grain brown rice.  The kids ate it without much fuss, though Brother doesn't really like tofu and sister only likes the tofu...

As mentioned earlier I am making hummus again - We've been buying the premade stuff while living in the Hideout because the Vitamix just didn't fit anywhere.  This week I made an old favorite - lentils and rice (Mujadara).  You dip a whole wheat pita into the hummus then into the mujadara for the most perfect earthy bites of sustenance that have ever crossed your lips.  It is truly one of my favorite meals - so simple, wholesome and filling.  I didn't take a picture because I was too excited to eat it, but here is a picture from another time I made it (though this time I didn't make three flavors of hummus - just garlic).


In addition I made Broccoli soup with the homemade bread.  It's been a good week of eating thanks to a little more space in the kitchen!

I'll leave you with this art called "The Earth Dreaming" by Isaiah Zagar - it is displayed in downtown Phoenix.  There are a couple of different panels and some designs in the sidewalk as well.  It is beautiful and it made me happy to walk by it the other day.





No comments:

Post a Comment