Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Schooling, learning, and teaching

We are very focused on education around here!  Each day we have a number of educational obligations, not least of which includes Brother completing fourth grade.  There is some irony on the homeschooling road.  We have been very concerned about ensuring that he keeps pace with the public schools and his peers.  The irony is that when he was in public schools we felt he was not sufficiently challenged. We are continually ensuring that he is challenged and as a result he is undoubtedly much further along than his peers.  For example, we have only been "in school" for approximately three weeks, but in that time he has covered over half of a math workbook that is supposed to last the year!  Clearly we will have to keep moving ahead to keep him challenged.  Likewise, with language arts, science and social studies (which are all integrated through the Moving Beyond the Page curriculum), we find that our summer adventures have really added a depth to the material.  He has first-hand knowledge of geology, fossils, and volcanoes from National Parks and museums so studying rocks and minerals was a breeze and actually rather superficial compared to what we have already learned.  We also explored a number of archaeological sites and learned about American history while traveling.  These experiences give us a great deal to draw upon when reading Little House in the Big Wood or Sign of the Beaver.  Husband is directing his education and working with him each day; I take the lead on teaching him piano and building upon the formal lessons he took in second grade.  When he surpasses me, I will have to find him a new piano teacher.  By the way, the piano leans up against the wall by my side of the bed.  The stand folds up behind my bedroom door.  When we play we set it up in front of the couch...it's a minor inconvenience, but it works in this tiny house!

School for Husband is going well - he is 2/3 of the way through his degree and is finally taking all the difficult upper division computer science classes.  I am settling into my classes this semester.  I was told that the third time you teach an on-ground class is the time you finally find your footing and I see the truth in that now.  I am more comfortable than I was last year.  

Sister is growing up so fast!  She is more interested in learning her letters and numbers as of late.  She loves doing her preschool workbook and reading books.  There were times past where she would get all frustrated with us trying to teach her letters or numbers.  Now she is asking about words and letters she sees.  She still has her own way of writing and she pretends to write stories in her own little cute script.  It's adorable....see?  


Unfortunately the weather has remained very hot and we are still packed inside the Hideout.  As a result the biggest challenge is allowing Brother the space and quiet to concentrate and complete his tasks without interruptions from Sister.  

I've been figuring out how to cook outside and with the appliances again.  It's a way of thinking that I had to remember from last summer and come to terms with (I've been rebelling and hoping it would cool off).   However I am sick of trying to find something decent when eating out and I want my own healthy food.  Tonight I made a wonderful salad with a frozen/steamer/microwaved bag of veggies on top.  It was awesome - I ate it too fast to take a picture!  

I am a thankful wife and mama.  Life is good, we've settled back into life in the Phoenix area and have found our routine for the school year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment