Wednesday, April 18, 2018

T minus one month!

We have reached a milestone!  One month more of school, AZ heat, planning, and edge-of-my-seat excitement before we set off!

As I wrap up my first academic year as Dr. I am excited about year two.  I have been offered an opportunity to develop a class that has never been taught on Public Mental Health.  I have a lot of experience working with and around people with mental health problems in the criminal justice system, in the jail, and in public health.  When I reflect back on the many experiences and stories I have and combine that with research on the topic I am excited.  Creating a class is a creative process and designing from scratch is fun because you can imagine providing students with a unique experience - there are so many possibilities for activities.  Anyhow, that is cool.  What is more cool is that though I was originally hired for a nine-month contract and I put away a portion of my check each payday to cover our trip over the summer, creating that class and teaching another online will provide some additional funds for our trip.  Summer contracts are optional, but a good way to supplement when on a nine-month salary.  So, I have two more weeks of regular classes, finals, and then graduation before we leave.

Regarding the trip and looking ahead, I told Brother that we are going to Universal Studios (specifically we are interested in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter)!  We are so excited...by "we" I mean Brother and I.  While in LA we will be staying in a beautiful RV resort in LA that has a playground and other wonderful amenities.  Husband and Sister are going to hang at the RV resort (they just aren't interested in that attraction).  But Brother and I have read the Harry Potter books together and we are so excited...I may be more excited than Brother, I read those book when they first came out and have been a huge fan - I've wanted to visit the Wizarding World ever since they first built it! It's a guilty pleasure...so excited.

We have some down time planned before we hit the road, during that time we are going to work on lightening our load, organizing, and cleaning.  We also have to take the trailer in to the dealership, again, for warranty stuff.

AZ had it's first triple digit day a few days ago...it is so crazy.  For the past two days it has been really windy and cooler (80s).  Whatever temp it is outside the trailer gets warmer than that and, to complicate matters, our exhaust vent fan died (located in the bathroom that keeps air moving) - the little motor has had a lot of action since last summer.  Husband tried to find a replacement online, but the one that arrived in the mail is not an exact fit so we have to either figure out how to mount the larger one that arrived or find the exact replacement...We've been running the A/C a fair bit, but we have not put up the reflectix yet - I just can't part with looking out the windows.  I am really hoping we find cooler places on our travels...I mean, we are virtually guaranteed to find places cooler than the desert...right?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment