Friday, February 9, 2018

RVegan Favorite Recipes Edition

It's been a while since I wrote about our grub.  Recently we have been making our favorites and I thought I would share them.  Today it was crockpot refried beans, which I have shared in the past.  I've long stopped eating dairy, but the kids and Husband still add shredded cheese to theirs.  We eat it as a dip on tortilla chips with fresh guacamole & salsa.  I am still, after almost eight months trying to finish off the dried pinto beans I brought with us from the McMansion!  Dang I am sick of these beans!  I've been alternating between slow-cooker pinto bean to soften them and then freezing them in 14 oz bags and making the refried beans.  I swear I still have about 7-8 pound left....that is 7-8 crockpots of beans...

With the frozen pinto beans I make another favorite crockpot recipe - Mexican Quinoa Tacos. This recipe calls for two cans of black beans, but I sub one bag of frozen pinto beans for one of the cans of black beans and it has helped me (albeit slowly) use up this seemingly neverending stock!  We love this recipe and make it often.  It takes 3-4 hours in the crockpot and most of the ingredients come from a can, so it is super easy.  We eat it in taco shells with fresh guacamole (this family eats a lot of avocados), salsa, and cheese (if you are not me).  Yum.  It makes enough for two dinners, maybe three - I love easy leftovers.  I meant to take a before and after picture but I only took the before, I had to use the picture from ChelseasMessyApron for the after. Yum.


Something else we are eating about once per week - baked potatoes!  But let me tell you that you must find a place that sells TastyBite channa masala, because it is amazing on a tater.  I shop at WinCo & Food City and both places carry these.  Actually they sell all kinds of varieties both vegan and vegetarian and we have tried them all.  Besides the channa masala, I also love the mushroom masala - there are also lentil varieties - all good.  I also bake or grill two heads of broccoli wrapped in aluminum with the potatoes for the last 20 minutes or so and then I cut up the potato, put 3/4 of a package of channa masala and then top with lots of broccoli.  When we have this for dinner we use three packages of channa masala between the four of us.  The kids love this meal.  They also add cheese to theirs (notice a pattern) but I do not and it does not need cheese.  I have added avocado and that is great when I have it.  I have also made a cashew cheese sauce, which was ok, but I really love it simple (potato, masala, and broccoli).  Here's a pic of a time I also made corn on the cob and added that to the mix!

The newest recipe we made was White Bean Artichoke Burgers and they are a keeper.  We pan fried them, but I am sure they would hold together on the grill.  They were excellent.  We made a double batch and ate them for two nights - though we have left overs for one more meal!  The kids ate them without too much fuss (the first night of a new recipe comes with a little grumbling and a very slow rate of consumption - the second night they ate them with no issues).  I spread guacamole all over both sides of the bun, we topped with tomato & red onion.  Delicious.  You have to try.  I am using the picture from AVirtualVegan, my pictures never turn out so well!  I did not stack two patties on top of each other...that would be a bit much!


I am doing very well on eating WFBP, since the beginning of the year I think there have been three days I ate animal products -  one thing I have every once in a while is a couple of eggs with hashbrowns in the morning, or an egg in pancakes.  Otherwise I am loving beans, nuts, pasta, veggies and fruits.  Life is good and eating plant foods is delicious, nourishing, guilt-free, and health promoting.   

No comments:

Post a Comment