Friday, June 23, 2017

RVegan Life

For a long time I have aspired to consume a entirely Whole-Food-Plant-Based (WFPB) diet.  I see diet as a continuum, you can eat 100% shit or 100% nutrition or anything in between!  I am always moving toward the nutrition side of the equation having knowledge from The China StudyDr. FuhrmanForks Over Knives, NutritionFacts, and Michael Pollan helps me on my way.  I want to eat a more nutritious diet because of my health - a family history of diabetes and heart disease - and personal past diagnoses of high blood pressure, "prediabetes" and high cholesterol (though all are under control by diet at this time).  Over the past 18 days I have had zero time to prepare meals and though we ate a couple of meals at nice restaurants with vegan options, mostly I subsisted on pizza, potato, egg and cheese burritos, and veggie burritos from fast food joints.  I was seriously craving some real food people!

So, tonight - after a long day of running errands and grocery shopping at the closest store (WalMart 14 miles away - yes, I now officially live in a rural food desert) I made my first healthy WFPB trailer meal.

Delicious.  Yes - don't you love my fancy plates?  I had to get rid of my glass set as they were inappropriate for trailer living.  I will be on the lookout for a microwavable plastic set, but in the meantime, disposable is a good thing (remember - no dishwasher anymore).  

So I was on a kick with these grain salads a while ago - what really makes them awesome is some of my hummus on top, but I didn't want to get the Vitamix out and go through that clean up in my micro kitchen yet.  Instead I just drained a can of garbanzo beans, threw some frozen corn in the colander, diced some orange bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes tossed that all with spring greens and balsamic vinegar dressing.  Then I nuked a frozen bag of quinoa and kale (WalMart brand, it is so good) and put a few spoonfuls on top of that beauty and voila! Real Food!  It was excellent.  

Tomorrow we head to our property with the UHaul trailer.  I made us some spicy garbanzo bean/avocado sandwiches and we are taking some cans of veggie soup to warm up on the propane burner.  My body is not fully healed from loading that damn trailer.  I hope unloading goes smoothly. The best part about this trip is that the kids get to play outside as it will be a bit cooler on the mountain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment