Thursday, June 29, 2017

RVegan crockpot beans

So cooking is a work in progress. I am spoiled coming from such an amazing kitchen:


The small space heats up fast with the stove top on so we are not using that for the summner.  Today I put a new twist on one of my favorite recipes, slow-cooker refried beans.  I took all the ingredients and crock pot outside to my camp table this morning while it was still around 90 degrees so I could cook them outside and keep the heat out of the trailer.  I added all of the ingredients to the crock pot.  I put my mesh food tent over the crock pot- sorry, I forgot to take a picture - to keep bugs off of the lid.  I was afraid without the food tent I would have boiled bug around the lip of the lid where it tends to bubble and steam.  I turned it on around 8am on low and kicked it up to high around 1pm.  I immersion blended the pot at around 6:30pm and it was perfect (also bug-free). The excess water had evaporated better than when I made this in the past at my McMansion.  I didn't have to skim off water like I usually do in the end.  The meal could have easily been vegan - but I did use regular shredded cheddar and we made nacho plates with guacamole and salsa.  In the past I have used Diaya shredded cheese and vegan sour cream, however I did not have those groceries on hand. On the side I had a ready-made salad and dinner was served.  The kids have eaten this meal many times, so they didn't give me a hassle, which is always a good thing.   We have leftovers in the fridge and freezer - I made a pound of beans.  We will have leftovers tomorrow and then an easy meal another day.  Life is good - vegetarian meals are awesome, vegan (WFPB) meals = I am rocking it on all levels (maybe tomorrow..? Ha!).

No comments:

Post a Comment