Saturday, December 11, 2021

Off-grid Thanksgiving

Well, we had a beautiful Thanksgiving.  I was very grateful for the sun so that I was able to warm up our pre-cooked turkey in the solar oven (I ordered Thanksgiving dinner from Safeway).  I added the turkey at around 9:00 a.m. and took it out at around 3:00 p.m. when the sun oven was not keeping as high of a temp.  Most of the day it had no trouble keeping around 350 degrees. 


When I temped the bird in the afternoon it was around 155 when I really needed to be 10 degrees warmer.  At that point we transferred it to a large pot and put it on the wood-burning stove.



I put the lid on it an it simmered there for about an hour until the temp was around 170.  The rest of dinner I ordered from Safeway was easy to warm in the microwave.  I also made a Brussel sprout and sweet potato side dish.  Dinner was amazing.


For the four days off we stayed home, played a bunch of Minecraft with the kids and just enjoyed our place.  It was relaxing and free from acquisition anxiety.  We certainly observed Buy Nothing Day.  

I was able to make a soup with the turkey carcas - it turned out really well.  I also baked a loaf of wheat bread in the solar oven.


There is a lot to be said for being thankful for the land, the sun, family and the homestead.  It was a lovely holiday!





No comments:

Post a Comment