Saturday, May 11, 2019

Summer 2019 off to a rough start...


Leaving the valley the sky was clear and blue.  We took both vehicles on this part of the trip so I got to watch the rig from behind.  Our new Shiro kitty rode in the car with me and one kid (they switched at the halfway point).  He was really good - we had a litter box, food and water available, though he did not want any of it.  He sat comfortably next to Brother and then Sister as we drove.

As we climbed in elevation the weather turned sour.  There was a fair amount of rain and wind as we drove through the mountain passes.  It was the first time driving the rig on mountain grades.  I am sure Husband was glad I was not sitting beside him stressing out.  He did a great job managing the weather and the rig safely.

When we arrived at the campground we had an unpleasant experience parking the rig.  This rig is a bit more challenging to park as it is five feet longer than the Hideout.  Additionally the truck is bigger and seems to need more room in the front.  Husband and I clearly do not have a good system of communication worked out for this backing in situation.  We have had some success in the past when I drive and he directs me, but today he drove and I tried to direct him - but it didn't really work out that way.  Additional challenges included the fact that the sites are very narrow and not level.  After great difficulty backing in the rig into the first site we were directed into, we were unsuccessful in leveling it.

If you don't know, you have to level the RV at every new site so that everything works as it should (water needs to flow and the refrigerator will not work if not level).

The first site had about six inches of fresh gravel.  The leveling blocks were being pushed by the tires into the gravel instead of sitting on top of the gravel and supporting the tires.  There was no way to get leverage to keep the leveling blocks from slipping.  Also the truck tires were spinning in the deep gravel and having some trouble when not in four wheel drive.  Ultimately I went and asked for a different site (the one right next to us looked a lot better) so we had to start the whole backing up process again - which was just as emotionally draining as the first time.  After two hours (it seemed like 4) we finally were set (and level) and then the rain and hail began....yes, rain AND hail.  Awesome, I know.  I am sure Husband enjoyed setting everything up in the rain.  I was indoors making dinner.

The least fun aspect of the rig is back-in parking.  I also get stressed at gas stations.


Tonight the low is 41 degrees - we certainly don't have to worry about the heat here.  We did have to dig out our winter PJs.  When it is raining hard it is SO loud inside!  At the end of this video you can see the ruts in the gravel of our first site.  This is the first video I have ever edited - I shortened it to lessen the file size so Blogger would accept it.



Ok, so we are here for the next four weeks - this location is close enough to Rancho Status Quo to get some work done.  The rain makes getting back to the land very difficult - so I hope it is going to clear up!  I'll keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment