Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Ground control to Major Tom!

Yes, we're still here!  Uh...the work/life/blog balance is out of whack though.

So I started my new job teaching at Arizona State University.  It is amazing.  I love it.  I've been thinking about this for a long time and it is amazing to be living it.

I am commuting from the RV park to the campus via the light rail.  That is fun.  My commute takes about 35 min and it is entertaining from a people-watching perspective.  Today was the Trump rally in downtown Phoenix.  Let me just say this - I talked to some interesting people on the train.  It's not a boring ride and I don't have to drive in rush hour - win win.

The RV park is very nice, the neighbors are excellent.  Case in point: Yesterday morning, prior to the solar eclipse, we heard a helicopter close by and sister wanted to see it.  Brother was still sleeping (I kept him home in the AM from school so that we could view the eclipse together).  So sister and I were outside watching the helicopter when brother woke and came to join us.  The kids were in their PJs and luckily I was not.  When brother closed the door to the trailer it locked itself!  So there we were, locked out, no phone, no purse, no keys.  To our great relief a very friendly neighbor across the street, who had waved to us in the past, was outside of her trailer reading.  We approached her and explained what happened.  Immediately she said, "oh that has happened to me!"  She advised me to put a spare out somewhere, but she let me use her phone so that I could call Husband who was at work one hour away.  He was incredulous when I relayed the story, and I asked him if he wanted to arrange a locksmith or drive home.  He opted for the latter.  In the meantime me and my PJ kids are hanging outside with this sweet neighbor who shared her cherries, made me coffee, got the kids glasses of water, offered us seats and enjoyable company and conversation.  A while later my next door neighbor who has two cute dogs arrived back at his trailer and my kids immediately told him what happened.  He says, "oh that has happened to me! I had to call a locksmith."  In all three of our cases, it is the top lock (the one that secures the handle)!  It is inexplicable how this happened. Something about closing the door makes the lock turn?  Doesn't make sense - especially if you could see it - but no pics...hey, at least I am posting!

Anyhow, life is an adventure and it is a good one when you are living in the moment and enjoying the fruits of your labor and planning.  No, I did not want to be locked out, but it turned out to be a nice morning and when we got back in, we made our cereal box eclipse viewer and waited a bit before we were back outside observing the sky.  Plus we got to see Daddy mid-morning for a quick visit and he got to take a two-hour vacation from his work day.  While observing the sky two other neighbors approached us and asked if we could see anything.  We shared our viewer with them and they were excited to have a glimpse as well.

I'm going to renew my efforts to post new content at least twice a week.  Thanks for checking back in with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment