Sunday, December 3, 2017

The season...

I usually don't have a lot of good things to say about this this season.  For many years I suffered SAD, seasonal affective disorder (self-diagnosed).  Though we have largely observed a Buy Nothing Christmas for many years, the hypocrisy of my life in the McMansion further exacerbated my depression around this time of year.

This year I have felt more festive and even worked on Christmas crafts with the kids!  Yes, this is our Christmas tree - it is the first tree my kids have had.

If you buy into all the Christmas stuff you probably will judge me harshly for not having a tree for my kids in past years.  But they are not suffering.  10% of the students in New York were homeless at some point during the last year - those kids suffer - my kids are not suffering, so please put things into perspective.
I am firmly of the opinion that we (Americans) have way too much stuff.  I felt that way even as I purchased a McMansion and lived through seven Christmas seasons in it.  But this is the first year I feel my actions are in line with my values - it is a relief.  Christianity and consumerism are 100% at odds with one another, but somehow most people manage to do some mental gymnastics to allow them to overindulge and buy tons of stuff at this time of year.

Our less busy, less consumerist existence, allows us to enjoy each other and to be present in each others' lives...we don't need presents.  Kids have so much stuff they don't even know what to do with it all.  They much prefer the time we can give them - reading books out loud, playing video games with them, teaching them new skills like cooking and programming - rather than having a toy they can play with by themselves or with each other (which they will likely fight over).

I've been saying this for 20 years and it has not made me any friends, but this is my truth.  As I watch those around me waste their time and energy on the expectations of the season I always feel compelled to share how very relaxed and unbusy I am between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I hope that you can find a way to enjoy the season without blowing all of your hard earned money on junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment