Monday, December 18, 2017

Desert Botanical Gardens

It's easy to forget, when you live in a house, how sedentary life is.  When you live in a Hideout it is impossible to forget because it literally takes five steps to traverse the entire house.  Also, the kids'  restlessness stands in contrast to our poor habits and I recognize that when they need to get out and move, I probably need to too!  Ever since we moved into the Hideout we have spent a lot more time outside.  The kids have gotten more out of their bikes than they ever did in our former neighborhood and we have been enjoying winter weather in the Southwest.  I may have mentioned that we have visited the Tempe Town Lake a few times and last weekend we visited the Desert Botanical Gardens where we spent an active morning walking (adults) and/or running and jogging (kids).


It's been many years since my last visit and they have added some sculptures which, in some cases enhance the natural beauty - but in other cases do not...


Anyhow, the experience was excellent despite the strange ceramics -there were so many beautiful views and amazing plants. For instance, who knew that some varieties of aloe grow to be this big?  This Hercules Aloe is well over 10 feet tall.  It is stunning!


 I love succulents - here are my best pictures:
I



I have really missed my garden, however I have been fortunate to have been able to volunteer through Brother's school - working in the urban vegetable garden with Brother.  The garden was certainly a high point of the public school we have attended this year.  Brother also brought home a sprouted sunflower in September and it recently bloomed and is currently being dried so that we can pull out the seed and grow more.  I guess I neglected to post a picture of that...So you can see that I am getting my garden 'fix' despite living in the home of a nomad.

There was a beautiful contemplation and reflection space at the DBG.  My biggest reflection was that it was a shame that the poor cannot contemplate and reflect in the space - admission is rather pricey at $25/adult and $13/kiddo.  We were able to check out a Culture Pass from the local library which saved us $50 in admission costs. 


Finally, I wanted to share a couple of the other cool sculptures that we came across.


Look closely at these - they are made from pick-axes!


It was lovely and a beautiful place for a morning walk.  Highly recommended especially if you can get a break on admission!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment